Goals and Action Steps 2013-2018
I. In collaboration with community partners, increase frequency and depth of contacts and relationships with priority industry sector employers.
- Engage more employers directly in education/training program development
- Intensify use of OJT, paid internship and other on-site opportunities to incentivize hiring and enhance training
- Maintain/expand staff specialist/coach role in at least 3 priority areas: e.g. manufacturing, healthcare, and educational services
- Track and support continuing growth and development of jobs and training in industry areas key to our regional identity: e.g. agriculture, green jobs, and the creative economy.
II. Refine and expand our ability to work creatively and effectively with community partners to servehomeless and ex-offenders, among other special populations (e.g. Adult Learners, Veterans, people with disabilities, the long-term unemployed, etc.)
- Document current practice/partners and identify potential improvements/enhancements
- With or without grant funding, build on strong working relationships to implement
- Seek funding to work collaboratively with partners to address persistent weaknesses and gaps.
III. Draw on Board member expertise and contacts to increase visibility of REB and impact of services.
- Increase the visibility of the REB in Hampshire County, including Ware, and in West County
- Engage REB members personally in new member recruitment
- Ensure every REB member contributes to youth employment goals through either a donation, a youth work experience, or assistance in engaging an additional business in youth employment activities.
IV. Improve the quality, not just the quantity, of business relationships.
- Increase focus on employer workshops/seminars
- Increase direct referrals of jobs seekers to employers
- Establish a local, collaborative “rapid response” strategy for projected lay-offs that complements and enhances state Rapid Response program.
- Provide a diverse mix of career development activities that afford out-of-school and in-school youth the opportunity to move from awareness, to exploration, to immersion
- Ensure every youth completing a program has a Next Step Plan and Back-Up Plan.
- Increase the level of awareness and utilization of Youth Service Council education/employment resources in area high schools.
REB Mission Statement
To shape, nurture and sustain a regional workforce development system
that promotes the economic well-being of a diverse workforce and business base.